Thursday, October 15, 2009

Lord of the Flies Vocabulary List 1

1. Abyss - a deep, immeasurable space, gulf, or cavity, vast chasm.

Synonym: immeasurable

My Definition: It's really a deep cavity or vast chasm.

2. Articulate - uttered clearly in distinct syllables.

Synonym: Coherently

My Definition: Very strange distinctive syllables.

3. Bastion - support, fortified place.

Synonym: defense

My Definition: A lot of support and defense.

4. Blundered - make mistake.

Synonym: Blow, confused

My Definition: Someone makes mistakes.

5. Cascades - something falling especially water.

Synonym: descend, pour, overflow

My Definition: Overflowing too much water.

6. Compressed - compact, condense.

Synonym: bind, close, contract

My Definition: Binding something.

7. Contemptuously - boastfully.

Synonym: arrogantly

My Definition: Somebody is mean, disrespectful, and a jerk.

8. Contrite - Regretful.

Synonym: apologetic

My Definition: Feels a lot of sorrow, sadness, and despair of what they did wrong.

9. Corpulent - fat, chubby.

Synonym: large, gross

My Definition: Completely huge.

10. Covert - chandestine, underhanded.

Synonym: concealed, private

My Definition: A lot more secretive.

No comments:

Post a Comment